Tracey Interviewed By The Wallstreet Journal

Q&A: Tracey Ullman
By LYNEKA LITTLE
March 21, 2008 6:40 p.m.

She may be British-born, but comedian Tracey Ullman takes on America in her new show, "State of the Union."

The Showtime series follows Ms. Ullman as she portrays a multitude of characters, ranging from celebrities to airport security workers, in quick, laugh-out-loud skits. "State of the Union" also marks Ms. Ullman's return to sketch comedy after a nearly ten-year break since her last show, "Tracey Takes On…". The Wall Street Journal's Lyneka Little recently sat down with the funny woman to discuss her take on comedy and American life.

WSJ: How did you come up with the concept behind "Sate of the Union"?

Ms. Ullman: I became an American in 2006. It got me thinking about what is my America and what's my perception of America. That's why I like the title "State of The Union." And I wanted to do something that was like today's YouTube mentality, where no one can focus on anything for two minutes.

I'm such an eclectic person, I couldn't just write the show with one character. It just doesn't interest me. It interested me to be a whole mix of people -- celebrities and people that I have known. I really wanted to be David Beckham because he's from where my husband's from in England. I feel like I know that voice so well.

WSJ: Your sketches incorporate everything from Bollywood to the pharmaceutical industry. How did you come up with these ideas?

Ms. Ullman: I'm fascinated by Bollywood. My husband [producer Allan McKeown] is making a television show in India, so we've been going to India a lot. My pharmacist is Indian. So I thought it was a nice way to incorporate some dance, some Bollywood, an Indian and some drug interactions. America is obsessed with drugs.

WSJ: You take on African-American personalities, as well. Have you ever gotten any backlash from playing different ethnicities?

Ms. Ullman: I've gotta try and be everybody. I've always gotten a positive reaction to doing African-American characters. I think it was 1987 that I noticed Eddie Murphy played a white man. I thought, I can play a black one. I think I do it in the right spirit. My criteria is, the people exist, they sound like that, look like that, and have occupations like that. I've impersonated Asian people, young people, old people, and Jewish people. I've never heard anything negative.

WSJ: What made you want to portray Laurie David, former wife of comedian Larry David?

Ms. Ullman: I like her voice, I like her determination. I played tennis with her a couple of times. When we were writing it, she got a divorce, so we incorporated that into our pieces. I know that some people won't know who she is, but I think she makes a good point about environmentalism and activism in America today. She's flying around in a jet powered by vegetable oil.

I'm sick of environmentalism. If I see that iceberg dropping in the ocean one more bloody time… That poor polar bear stranded on a flipping rock! The news is so frightening and we scare the s--- out of ourselves. That's why I put Campbell Brown in. [Announcer's voice:] "There's an airborne virus that could kill millions in a bubonic plague..."

WSJ: How do you get into your various roles?

Ms. Ullman: I love studying people. I've loved it since I was a child. Some people played the piano; I used to imitate my neighbors, my family and my teachers -- but in very a sort of documentary way. I never did it to make fun or be mean.

WSJ: What other comedians have inspired you?

Ms. Ullman: My inspiration are people like Peter Sellers and Alec Guinness. Carol Burnett as well. I used to watch Gilda Radner in the late '70s, and Eddie Murphy is just a genius. The table full of people he played in the "Nutty Professor," I mean, I just gasped.

WSJ: You seem to have good timing with networks. You were one of Fox's first hits, then went to HBO and are now at Showtime just as it is becoming known for its original content.

Ms. Ullman: Right. I'm going to do the QVC next, I think. I think we can incorporate selling stuff with some eclectic stuff. Who knows?

WSJ: What do you think is the state of America now?

Ms. Ullman: I got married in America in '83. America has changed a lot since. It seems to be less naïve, less idealistic, less patriotic. When I first came to America there wasn't much political satire like the Colbert Report, Jon Stewart and Chappelle. Everyone was nicer then. Now, everyone is a little more cynical because it's an older nation -- and I'm older. It's an interesting year to be doing a show and an interesting year politically. You can get way too caught up in becoming an MSNBC junkie. There's speculation and analysis every single hour.

WSJ: What's next for you?

Ms. Ullman: We'll see if I get to do more of this. That will be great fun. Travel. Maybe some theatre. I like doing my own thing.

Write to Lyneka Little at lyneka.little@wsj.com

Comments