2017 Television Critics Association for Howards End
On Friday, July 27, 2017, Tracey, along with Hayley Atwell and Matthew MacFadyen, appeared at the 2017 Television Critics Association for Howards End. The four hour four-part series will air on Starz in the US in 2018, and BBC One in the UK (date TBA). Tracey plays Aunt Juley Mund.
Here are some highlights of what Tracey discussed:
- Tracey says she grew up a working-class girl and says she wanted to be in [Howards End] to take over for Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. (She also broke into her Judi Dench impersonation)
- Tracey said it was lovely being offered something as brilliant as Howards End but said it was hard doing scenes with 20 year olds.
- Tracey said Mike Leigh crashed the Howards End set because his office was stuck in one of the exterior shots.
- Tracey loved the locations and said that it was like going back in time.
- Tracey: "The disparity between the rich and the poor is the same. We talked about it a lot. Lonergan's adaptation is astounding."
- Tracey joked that even though the BBC is now fronted by women, co-star Matthew MacFadyen was probably paid twice as much. (referencing the BBC gender pay gap)
- Tracey mentioned that the second season of Tracey Ullman's Show will air on HBO this October "And I'm making 3 more very topical shows when I get back" (to the UK).
- Tracey said she loves doing topical comedy now and boasted about getting Tony Atamanuik's Trump to talk to her Angela Merkel.
- Tracey admitted that it's harder for her to act without all her props, wigs and noses.
- Tracey: "I've gone gray. You can tell I don't live in Los Angeles anymore."
- Tracey cited Peggy Ashcroft, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Jessica Tandy as her idols.
- Tracey: "I want to be a character actress and work until I'm 90."
- "Oh it's the best!" said Tracey on Melissa McCarthy's Sean Spicer impersonation on Saturday Night Live, but said whoever did Reince Priebus is out of a job.
Tracey will Hayley Atwell and Matthew MacFadyen
Tracey: "We look like a failed pilot."
The following come courtesy of Hayley Atwell (@wellhayley)
I think we've had all the fun we can expect to have here #TraceyUllman
What a gal #TraceyUllman