Ullman leads British comic talent

Ullman leads British comic talent


Tracey Ullman is still leading the British comedy contingent in America

Published Date: 09 May 2009
Tracy Ullman said she was "just thrilled" to be receiving a lifetime achievement award at the British Comedy Festival in LA.
The Slough-born comedian, who now lives in the US, won the first BAFTA/LA Charlie Chaplin Award for Lifetime Achievement in Comedy.

She said: "It's lovely; I'm just thrilled. It's a nice achievement and I've got lots of friends here tonight and Brits.

"It's made me very retrospective thinking about what I've done and what I've achieved and I've come a bloody long way from my mum's window sill - the original Tracy Ullman show. I'd draw the curtains and my mum would sit in bed and I'd do a show on the window sill," she added.

Mike Leigh's cheerful flick Happy-Go-Lucky won Best British Comedy Film, which was accepted by actress Alexis Zegerman.

She said the "positive air" of the film was the key to its success.

"The film came out when the whole financial market was crashing, people were losing their jobs and I think everybody wanted something positive. They wanted the people, the characters in the film, they wanted them in their lives, so it was upbeat," she said.

They were joined at the ceremony by famous British faces including Myleene Klass, Peter Kay and Sharon Osbourne.


Last Updated: 09 May 2009 8:28 PM
Source: Press Association
Location: The Press Association Newsdesk

Comments